Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Arena Concept #2: Road to Avalon



I feel immediately with this piece that part of what I was hoping to achieve along the way was lost and that the end, which I am still somewhat happy with, could still be changed into something different. There still feels like there's something not quite right with the finished piece of this, but since I have been constantly tweaking and changing it I have decided to come back to it later, either in my major project or later on within this module.

The idea for this environment came from a new idea I had for the story of my game idea. To give my game a much better narrative grounding I have decided to now look into Arthurian legend from the time that folklore and myth carved out the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I feel that there is a lot of scope to draw from for this legend in particular as it is one of the most well-known in modern society today while also being based on stories that sound more like fantasy novels and adventures.

For this piece in particular I decided to create an arena at the entrance to Avalon, a mystical location that was thought to be the resting place of King Arthur after the Battle of Camlann. In addition to this Avalon was also mentioned to be where the famed sword Excalibur was forged, bringing another element of the Arthurian legend into the environment which could be drawn from later on in the design stage of this arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment