Friday, 30 November 2012

Artist Research: Thomas Pringle

Thomas Pringle is mostly known for creating concept art for the popular video games The Darkness 2, Bioshock 2 and Cloud Atlas. His style of work speaks to me immediately from the striking use of visual imagery within worlds that brim with a dark and brooding atmosphere. I find his work incredibly inspirational technically as his use of broad brushstrokes and atmospheric perspective blend in such a way that his pieces look detailed from afar but enjoyably simple up close. His use of texture and colour is also something I envy as an artist as his distinctive, gritty style creates a rich world filled with a number of visual clues for the eye to pick up on, but not necessarily ponder over for too long. It is this skill of texture and brush use that allows his focal points to stand out incredibly against his vast backgrounds. I will try to take direct influence from Pringle's work into my own, both in this pre-production module and my work outside of university.







Images from Thomas Pringle's personal website.

No comments:

Post a Comment